AMCA Updates Louver Impact-Testing Standard 540
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill., July 19, 2023—Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) International Inc. announces the publication of ANSI/AMCA Standard 540-23, Test Method for Louvers Impacted by Wind Borne Debris.
Superseding ANSI/AMCA Standard 540-13, ANSI/AMCA Standard 540-23 establishes uniform methods of laboratory testing the ability of a louver to remain unbreached by flying debris during a windstorm.
One of the most significant changes to the standard is the addition of instructions for mounting a louver test specimen to a test frame using angle iron. While the mounting angle now required would comply with the previous version of the standard, minimum thickness was established to ensure the mounting angle provides a rigid attachment and does not absorb appreciable amounts of impact energy from deformation.
Other changes include:
- The addition of a preface defining broad objectives and uses that do not fit within the purpose and scope sections.
- The establishment of minimum performance requirements for louvers undergoing testing.
- Corrected definitions of enhanced protection and basic protection and added definitions of essential facilities, mullion/section joint, mullion, blade span, unsupported blade span, frameless section joint, and dual-blade louver.
- Definition of the sections of Testing Application Standard (TAS) 203, Criteria for Testing Products Subject to Cyclic Wind Pressure Loading, that are to be followed during post-impact cyclic pressure tests.
- The establishment of separate failed-test procedures for impact tests and cyclic pressure tests.
- The requirement that a test report be signed and sealed by a registered professional engineer and include cyclic-pressure-test data and results.
- The updating of all figures.
The cost of ANSI/AMCA Standard 540-23 is $45 for AMCA members and $90 for non-members in printed or PDF format and $61 for AMCA members and $122 for non-members in both printed and PDF formats. To purchase a copy, click here.For more information about ANSI/AMCA Standard 540-23, contact Director of Publications and Standards Joe Brooks, PE, at [email protected] or Senior Manager, Publications and Standards Shruti Kohli-Bhargava at [email protected]