AMCA supports the transition to FEI (Fan Energy Index) from FEG (Fan Efficiency Grade) in codes, standards, and regulations. With this transition to FEI completed in model energy codes and standards, AMCA calls stakeholders to act by replacing FEG with FEI in state energy codes and other jurisdictions, and avoiding adoption of FEG provisions when adopting earlier editions of model energy codes and standards. In addition, AMCA supports certified FEI ratings to be specified where possible.
Click the image to the right to open the latest AMCA Advocacy Brief.
Please contact Michael Ivanovich at email@example.com with any questions.
- ANSI/AMCA Standard 208-18, Calculating Fan Energy Index (for purchase)
- ANSI/AMCA Standard 207-17, Fan System Efficiency and Fan System Input Power Calculation (for purchase)
- AMCA Publication 211-13 (Rev. 10-18), Certified Ratings Program Product Rating Manual for Fan Air Performance (no cost)
Model Energy Codes & Standards:
ANSI/ASHRAE/IES 90.1: The 2019 version of ASHRAE 90.1, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, contains FEI language. A list of fans that are exceptions to the FEI requirements is included. The standard can be purchased on the ASHRAE Bookstore website here.
International Energy Conservation Code (IECC): The 2021 IECC, posted on the ICC website here, also contains FEI language. A list of fans that are exceptions to the FEI requirements is included in the language. Unlike the ASHRAE 90.1-2019 FEI language, the 2021 IECC requires that FEI ratings be certified by an approved third-party laboratory.
U.S. Department of Energy
In 2011, the U.S. Department of Energy began a rulemaking process with the intent to develop test/labeling and energy-efficiency standards for commercial and industrial fans, an initiative that was put on hold in 2017. Useful materials from the initiative are the Appliance Standards and Rulemaking Federal Advisory Committee Term Sheet, which documents consensus-voted recommendations toward the development of regulations, and the third Notice of Data Availability, a provisional analysis of economic impacts and energy savings that could result from promulgating a regulatory energy conservation standard for commercial and industrial fans and blowers.
- Appliance and Equipment Standards Rulemakings and Notices page for commercial and industrial fans and blowers
- ASRAC term sheet
- Public docket, which includes all published material and comments from stakeholders
California Energy Commission
California Title 20 is part of the Appliance Efficiency Regulation and California Code of Regulations. It is administered by the California Energy Commission (CEC). The CEC initiated a Title 20 rulemaking for commercial and industrial fans and blowers in 2017. The public docket has all documents published by the CEC relating to the regulation, and all comments, proposals, and supplemental materials posted by stakeholders.
- California Energy Commission—Open Docket comments for review
State Energy Codes:
AMCA encourages state energy code departments to adopt FEI language as found in ASHRAE 90.1-2019 and the 2021 IECC. When states seek to adopt earlier versions of ASHRAE 90.1 or the IECC that contain FEG language, AMCA advocates for replacement of the FEG language with the FEI language as found in these newest editions. An example of this is the 2020 Florida Building Code, which in adopting the 2018 IECC, adopted the FEI provision in the 2021 IECC in place of the FEG provision in the 2018 IECC.
- Florida - 2020 Florida Building Code, Energy Conservation, 7th edition - Section C403.2.12.3 Fan Efficiency.
To find manufacturers with fans which have been AMCA FEI certified through the Certified Rating Program, click the banner below:
Listed below are the most up-to-date FEI resources. For additional information, please visit AMCA's Educate page here.
FEI Videos & Presentations:
- AMCA Fan Energy Index—an introductory AMCA video
FEI Technical Papers, White Papers, & Articles:
- Applying Fan Energy Index (FEI) in Regulations and Applications—technical paper delivered at Energy Efficiency in Motor Driven Systems (EEMODS'19)
- Fan Energy Index (FEI) for Energy-Saving Fan Selection—article from 2018, AMCA inmotion
- Two New Metrics for Fan System Efficiency: Fan Energy Index and Fan Electrical Power FEI Online Training FEI Latest News—technical paper delivered at Energy Efficiency in Motor Driven Systems (EEMODS'17), Rome, Italy., September 6-8, 2017
Search AMCA member products which have been certified for FEI.
AMCA Air System Engineering & Technology (ASET) Webinar Series video recording from 31 July 2019 webinar
AMCA/ASHRAE Joint Webinar: New Fan Efficiency Requirements in ANSI/ASHRAE/IES 90.1-2019
Webinar conducted in conjunction with ASHRAE
Jeff Boldt, PE, FASHRAE, LEED® AP, HBDP, FPE, Managing Principal, IMEG
Tim Mathson, Principal Engineer, AMCA International
Michael Ivanovich, Senior Director, Global Affairs, AMCA International